Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

You know it's going to be a long day......

..................When your phone flat out dies.

DIES.

R.I.P Sammy


You haven't dropped it, it hasn't been submerged in water.

Your touch screen suddenly goes black and you are doomed.

Doomed to a life of horse and buggies, outhouses, and gasp no electricity!

Ok, maybe that was a little dramatic.

But seriously, I am lost folks.

I do not know how I lived before a cell phone came into my life.

Granted, at times I just want to get away.

I want to escape the calls and texts. I just want to lie back with a great book and have a technology free vacation.

A brief existence free of hassle, deadlines, drama, and interruption.

Then I start to get antsy.

I worry that I'm not going to be reachable during an emergency, or that I won't be there to help a friend that needs me.

I also worry that I'll miss the phone call of some cutie that I am interested in.

Cause once that moment passes, it is gone people....and with my luck, he would call right at the time that I have dropped off the grid.

But really, I have felt kind of lost this whole day.

My life has been pretty hectic lately so I decided to take a personal day.

I only had one class and gosh darn it, I skipped it!

I needed time to re-charge.

I needed time to blast some music, dance like a crazy person, wear some old jeans and a t-shirt, and bake.

A little Ashley 101: Baking takes my frustrations and stress away...baking and cleaning.

I can put all of my angst into doing something productive that benefits not only me, but others.

Today's stress reliever: Joshua Radin on the ipod and banana bread baking in the oven.

There is no possible way to remain stressed or upset with that winning combination.

Music is the best kind of therapy and the smell of warm bread makes me feel like I am safe at home.

It takes me back to random days when I would come home from school to find my mom cooking in the kitchen.

I would pull up a chair and just watch her.

We would talk about my day and the cares of the world would just disappear. 

As I have grown older, I have grown to appreciate taking time out of the hustle and bustle of my life to just breathe. 

A day, a minute, and hour where I do something that makes me tick.

Those little moments help me rediscover myself.

They help me remember what my talents are and how I can use them to help others.

Sometimes, we just need to be still. We need to listen and watch for promptings in our lives.

Little by little, I am feeling less Amish today. I am feeling okay about my lack of technology.

It just forces people to be more creative when trying to reach me and let me tell ya, this girl appreciates creativity.


Quote of the Day


Take your own personal day, you deserve it.


post signature

4 comments:

Liz Taylor said...

lol RIP!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"I worry that I'm not going to be reachable during an emergency, or that I won't be there to help a friend that needs me." <--- 100% agree! I always worry about that when my phone dies.

Amy said...

welp. thanks to you I just decided to skip my 2 pm class haha. I taught pe this morning and I'm laying on my bed and I don't want to move... that is, until my 4-7 pm class. I'm glad conference is coming so we can all just relax. :)

Lita said...

Liz: Haha it was traumatic for sure.

Maribel: I know right? Something awful WOULD happen the second I become phoneless.

Amy: Woohoo! I'm glad to be such a positive influence :p