Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, August 4, 2011

I’m hungry…for Peeta!

*Josh Hutcherson aka. Peeta Mellark*

Ok, so I know that I’m all tardy for the party and everything……but I LOVE The Hunger Game series! For those of you that live under a rock and have not heard of this series, or the movie coming out in March… (imagine that sounding loving like it was intended to be…not harsh haha) they are a trilogy that center around a girl’s struggle to save her family, friends, and freedom.

The plot involves a country called Panem that exists where North America used to be…but this new country is controlled by a powerful, ruthless city called the Capitol. In the books, “The Hunger Games” are an annual event..think Olympic games…only every year, oh and deadly!

In The Hunger Games, the Capitol chooses a boy and girl from each district to fight each other to the death. Seriously. They must do this in order to be able to provide for their families, their districts, and to avoid being hurt, imprisoned, or killed by the Capitol.

So if you are anything like me, you are reading this thinking “what the heck? Are you for real right now?”….because that is totally what I thought when people described the books to me and told me to read them. Finally, I agreed to read them and skeptically started.

 My main goal was just to see what all the fuss was about and I’ll admit, I was determined to hate them. I’m the kind of girl that loves romantic, thought-provoking books. Some of my favorites include To Kill A Mockingbird, Gone With The Wind, Tuesday’s With Morrie, The Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants, Pride and Prejudice...you get the idea.

People let me tell you, once I got past the first chapter, I was hooked! This book has action, humor, romance (a love triangle), and a good dose of reality. It made me grateful for the country that we live in and for the freedom that we enjoy. Reading these books and hearing about what these kids go through having to kill in order to survive made my heart hurt! It made me hate the Capitol just as much as the main characters did.

Ummmm did I mention that the movie cast includes hot guys like Liam Hemsworth and Josh Hutcherson….what I didn't? A girls gotta have eye candy :)

Liam-Hemworth-Josh-Hutcherson-EW-cover-The-Hunger-Games

{SPOILER ALERT! If you have not finished all of the books, or have not started them at all..PLEASE stop reading this post now because I do not want to ruin the ending for you or spoil any of the suspense. But please, please, please read the books! I know they sound kinda weird, but trust me, you will love them.}


Was that dramatic enough?



Ok, so I literally just finished the third book like 10 minutes ago, and I was in tears at the end. I was soooo happy that she ended up with Peeta and that they were able to start a life together. My favorite lines in the book come at the very end where Katniss talks about when she came to realize that Peeta was the one for her….yeah, yeah I’m a sap! But you all should know that already…..my blog name speaks for itself :)

Katniss realizes that what she needs:

“to survive is not Gale’s fire, kindled with rage and hatred. I have plenty of fire myself. What I need is the dandelion in the spring. The bright yellow that means rebirth instead of destruction. The promise that life can go on, no matter how bad our losses. That it can be good again. And only Peeta can give me that.

So after, when he whispers, “You love me. Real or not real?”

I tell him, “Real”.

AHHHHHHHH! So freaking adorable. I cried. Yes, I cried! I loved this part because how often do we struggle to express or even understand our feelings for another person. But before we know it, one day we just realize that we cannot imagine our life without that special person. We cannot even remember what life was like before they existed.

Too often we think that we need to find someone that is our perfect match. Someone that always agrees with everything we say and that is of our same temperament. To a certain degree this is true, but in a huge way, it is not. We need to find someone that challenges us to be better and someone that compliments us. Katniss realized that Peeta grounds her. He makes her want to be better, and he loves her inspite of her shortcomings.

So to make a long story short, I am obsessed with Peeta Mellark….yep…I’m a weirdo. While we’re on the topic of my eccentries, now is the perfect time to tell you that my first crush when I was little was Shang from Mulan. True story.

Quote of the Day

you should be kissed

Please tell me that you love The Hunger Games too!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love everything about this post! peeta and rhett butler in one post? you must be out to kill me from love overdose. swoooon!!!

Lita said...

Brittany I know! I apologize! Rhett Butler really sealed the deal :) But seriously, I am crushing on a fictional character! I'm also upset that I'm finished :( I need new books!

Holly said...

Thank goodness you liked the books and prefer Peeta cause if you didn't, i'm just not sure we could be friends! Actually I'm probably just kidding about the friends thing, but I really am glad that you are now obsessed with the books just like me!
Now give them back!!!

Lita said...

Haha um of course it was Peeta all the way! Aw man...It will be sad to part with them :( I think I'm going to have to buy the series for sure!

Suze said...

I love Peeta too! The guy they got to play Peeta does not look like the Peeta of my mind, but I'm willing to take a chance on him. ;)

Lita said...

Hi Suze! Yeah I agree...the only thing that looks like him in my mind is his kind looking face (if that makes sense haha). I'm hoping that the movie is going to be great and not ruin the books :)